“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen, Born Sep. 3, 1965.
How are you different from every other boring jerk out there?
What makes you unique?
Your history? Your style? Your point of view?
You need to know. Because that is the only thing that makes you interesting in this ever growing chaotic cloud of noise.
Information is just information. People can get it anywhere online for free if they're willing to dig. So why should they get it from you?
Why is your lens on the world worth looking through? How does the “package” of you make the information inside interesting and different than how it would be if it came from anyone else?
You need to know.
If you don't know, figure it out fast.
But this might be easier than you think. See, you’re already a human being. And so far as I know, even “identical” twins are exactly so. Every soul is unique.
The issue is that you are not lacing your content and your products with the personality and character you already possess.
Express yourself more. Assert yourself more. Don’t remove your voice, but rather make it an inseparable component of every message you publish to further your influence over your audience.
Your brand is what people remember about you when you aren’t there. So if you don’t tell them or show them, they won’t have anything TO remember.
Here are seven tips you can use when crafting messages to ensure that you’re injecting your point of view and infecting the reader subconsciously with it…
1. Be opinionated. Don’t just share information. Tell people what you think about it.
2. Be decisive. Make complicated things simple by having a singular take. Don’t waffle or try to cover all perspectives. Highlight the best one and make it your own.
3. Make predictions. When you share things, tell people what impact it will have on their future. Why is it worth knowing? They forget your misses, but your hits carry permanent influence.
4. Share your values. What do you care about and why? Tell people. Show them. Chances are that overlap exists, and the commonalities will draw you together more than they feel with others.
5. Sling mud at your villains. Nothing creates an “us” faster than having a common enemy to call a “them”. Unlike other people sharing the same info you do, you stand against the same things they hate.
6. Sell something. Don’t just crank out freebies and fluff. Make paid deep dive, all-meat/no-fat feasts part of your regular rotation of offerings. If your normal stuff connects with them, they will pine for yet more. And more.
7. Care about what you're saying. You’d think this would go without saying. But don’t be bored by what you’re doing. Find stuff that is AWESOME and share that. Make stuff you like, and share that. Care about the opinions of people who support it. Let those who don’t go find another provider they like better.
Whatever else you bring to the table is largely flavor and decoration. But be someone. Be awesome. Make yourself worth paying attention to.
Then, it doesn't much matter what you say, people will be eager to listen and read and consume and buy.