“If thinking men are few, they are for that reason all the more powerful. Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.” – Henry George, Born Sep. 2, 1839.
Most people hate to think.
Some even find it painful. Even the ones who are good at it often find it a burden and a curse, and seek respite from an overactive mind…
But I digress. For most, they simply avoid it because then they don't have the burden of responsibility that comes with having thought things through.
If you think, then you must make your own opinions.
You must incept your own ideas.
You must decide your own goals and courses of action.
You develop predictions of what is to come.
You cultivate understanding of what is needed to face likely obstacles and pitfalls.
It's a lot of work to be a thinker.
But if you can manage it, it's so rare a skill that you can profit mightily from it.
Because you DO form your own opinions. You DO have your own ideas. And you DO create your own goals and courses of action…
And since you're not just letting someone else do all your thinking for you, you end up innovating. Discovering new territory. Finding new shortcuts through uncharted wilderness where others fear to tread.
Not because you're a creative genius, but simply because you are a unique individual, with unique memories and skills and experiences and no one else would think to solve a problem in the exact way you would.
And that information and insight and experience are VALUABLE.
People will pay such as us to do their thinking FOR them.
So get good at it.
Provide QUALITY opinions, ideas, and processes back into the market.
They need them. They need you.
It's a big responsibility. Charge accordingly.
Below, Let’s Take a Look at Seven Simple Ways Anyone Can Begin Leveraging Brains for Bucks…
To do this, let’s explore my alliterative list above in more detail.
1. Crunch. Take the information you consume elsewhere and put it into the real world. Act upon it. Test it. Analyze the results. Share this with others on the same path. This positions you as a do-er and not just a talker.
2. Compare. Find a different source on the same subject and “crunch” that as well. What do they have in common? In the outcomes? In the processes? How can you combine them to make your own method have the full benefit of both? Then do that again and again.
3. Contrast. How does your method differ than what you find out there already? How are you making it unique to you? Is it shorter? Faster? More in-depth? Deeper? Prettier? No matter what else, your version will be SMARTER and that is how you begin to stand out from the crowd.
4. Criticize. At this point, you’ve got a working method, combining the best of the field, rejecting the worst, and you’ve got proof that it works. That is your bedrock. You have proof in hand, so now it’s time to spit in some faces. What do you HATE about your niche? What practices can you decry and publicly call out for being crappy? People will agree and presume you must represent the virtuous opposite of that which you attack.
5.Curate. Now that you have a clear stance on what you are against, become a collector and distributor of the things you LIKE. You become the source for everything good and nothing bad, creating a clear hole among your competitors where the light of truth is seeping in for your eager followers.
Now let’s take it two steps further.
6. Create. Formalize your own processes and methods. Teach them to others. Make products and books and courses. Show the world your innovations that came from crunching things up yourself. Injected into all of this output is your personal brand – your choices, your preferences, your insights are what created THIS way to succeed, vs. any other way by any other person.
7. Collaborate. Consult with clients and collaborate with them at a high level to implement your work, and most importantly, help them adapt it to THEIR own strengths and minimize or compensate for any weaknesses. Use your powers to elevate others who are capable and deserving. Or, just help your own allies for your own secret purposes, if you prefer.
The point is, when you get to this level, you can choose pretty much whatever you like – you have a loyal audience who is hungry for your help.