“Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.” – Bertolt Brecht, Born Feb. 10, 1898.
If you want to be seen as a leader in your market, it's not about always winning. It's about never losing. And if you can make a loss into a win, you'll pass up even the guys who seem to win constantly.
Why? Because people don't know how to become the kind of person who never fucks up and always succeeds. But if they see you turning a fuck up into a leg up, that is do-able. They can imagine themselves making farts into perfume, because they are halfway there…
But how? How can one flip failures into fame?
Here are a few ways.
1. That's not a bug. It's a feature. Own any potentially negative attribute and turn it into a desirable advantage and benefit. It's not short. It's fluff-free. It's not bloated. It's comprehensive.
2. I meant to do that. If you do something that gains negative reaction, own it, and shrug or laugh it off with an apology – not for offending… But only for not delivering exactly how you hoped. Promise to do better next time.
3. It was an experiment. Show them the results, even when less than expected. Here is what I learned. Here is what I will do differently next time. Make it a case study, which actually teases the next thing.
4. Trash into treasure. A failed launch. Dead end? Nope. Lots of that might be reusable in other formats. Think about how to break down and profit from every bit of everything you do, multiple ways, with contingencies.
5. Brag about the rags. No one cares about riches unless they used to be rags. Any failure can become a story of redemption once you turn it around. If you're coming from a worse hole than your prospects, all the better.
6. Rocky Balboa. He fucking lost. But he went the distance. Finishing is still more than most people manage. Much less getting back in the ring after losing. People love an underdog who won't stay down.
7. Life-of-Brian that shit. Always look on the bright side of life, like the closing song says. People can't help but enjoy and admire people that seem to fish diamonds out of turds. It makes them feel better about their own turds, and maybe want to follow your lead to start digging. (Sell shovels.)
Seven is a good stopping point, but there are more…
Do you know any?